Saturday, November 04, 2006

Grand Day Out

We hit the Waneroo markets this morning to get some fruit and veggies, we had coffee, looked at the pet store and then did the shopping.

I was at the last stall and there were 5 people infront of me waiting to pay and my hands were full, well Alec wanted me to come and look at the puppies again. He came back 4 times, I didn't notice how distressed he was getting and by the time I finally got through and to the pet shop it was too late. He wanted to show me that there were 5 puppies in the cage and that he had counted them, they were all being held by then and Alec was under a shelf in the shop across from the pet store crying and hysterical, then he sat in the middle of the walk way squealing.

After everyone had calmed down and we were on our way home Michael said he was really annoyed at some bloke that gave him a dirty look and made a comment under his breath about not being able to control our child, well I don't even register these looks and comments anymore. I know in the beginning it really bothered me and they would get a filthy look back but then I realised they really meant nothing to me and in my life if you aren't comfortable with Alec you are out, I don't have the capcity to deal with the shortcomings of others. Sounds harsh but when you have to prioritise everything, time, emotion and social events I would rather be with people that care about us as we care about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alli, I totally sympathise! As the mother of a non-verbal 3 1/2 year old autistic son, I am well versed in the absolute chaos any outing can result in. I still struggle with all the dirty looks I get when I am out with him, and am frequently reduced to tears because of it. My husband is more fortunate and doesn't notice/care. I am sure that it will get easier as time passes, but there are definately times I would love to have a fast forward button on this experience!

It is comforting to know that there are other people that understand the difficulties of parenting an autistic child, if only so we don't feel so utterly alone.

One foot in front of the other is my motto...One day at a time.