Wednesday, November 08, 2006

You must have been really good...

I'm bound to offend someone here but you will have to live with that.. I just read a post about prayers answered (in a private forum sorry can't link you to it), it was about what I would consider things you wouldn't be bothering god with.. notice god with the small 'g' yes, I am faithless and godless. I think it is great some people get comfort and support from their belief but I get nothing from it.

So back to my point, lets say you are right and said persons prayer for a promotion is answered and god really is listening (said in a very Gregory House manner) there is all kinds of arguments here, the whole worthy of gods grace and such but what about the poor people aflicted with a disease or a condition, is god not listening to them because they were naughty and don't get favoured with good health and a promotion? please give me a break, we get dealt a hand, we play it, we decide if we are going to be good, bad or float along in neutrality, for me I like to think I am good, I am moral and kind and like small animals, I loathe organised religion, going somewhere and saying a bunch of words with other people seems pointless. If there really is a god he knows I am too busy to make it but that I am doing the best I can right now, but gee whiz he must think I am naughty because I am being punished by having a child with autism, bullshit, nothing there to see what I do except for myself, I am the one that has to wake up and live with my own choices and I see Alec as a gift not as a burden. I'm happy with that, I hope you are happy with yours too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on all of this Alli, and I was brought up a christian! The exact moment my first child died in my arms was the last time I considered god a possibility... and Danyon being pronounced autistic just cemented the notion.

Every person since who has made comments like "God sends us these trials to make us a stronger person" or "These things happen for a reason" or my personal favourite "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" I could joyfully kick!

Tell that to all the people who have disappeared into the abyss because they just couldn't take it any more, and to all the total criminals who are living the high life!

I prefer to believe that all these things are completely random, and that we have a responsibility to ourselves and those we love, to be the best people we can possibly be, despite what might befall us.

The alternative, that god is choosing these hurdles for us...well, that would make him less a benevolent being, and more of a puppeteer with a bit of sadist thrown in. Certainly not someone I have time to give a damn about, much less worship!

I'm happy with my choices, and with who I am.

Anonymous said...

well said ..... im not much of a god person either , when my brother died my mum went to a church run night , and the first thing on the agenda was people that die of forms of cancer wore being pumished for certain sins they may have made in their lives .. what a cock of shit !! and im glad you see your son as a gift , i know exactly ,well have an idea anyway of how you feel as my grandson is a person with autisum , wow talk about entertaining , like all children he has his moments and good or bad i love every one of them , even when he freezes in his tracks , i love the challenge of trying to find reason fot it , which some times can be as simple as needing a hug for reasurance that its ok to be upset by a change in routine, i see him as the perfect gift and couldnt imagine my life with out him and wouldnt have him any other way .. CHEERS 2 u i love ur outlook on life .. kathy