Friday, February 02, 2007

All too much

well today was the first day with the full pre-primary class together. It didn't go well.

Alec was very reluctant and argumentative while getting ready, then when we arrived he did well but the moment we walked into the class he came to a dead stop. Alec's aide Helen is my hero, within moments of walking in I was almost in tears, it is so hard to see all the other kids sitting with their parents doing puzzles and greeting their friends, while my little one won't look at anyone and turns away when he is talked to. Helen said you go and I will handle this we will be just fine.

These are the hard times, when it becomes so apparent that your child is 'different' from the others and you know you are doing all you can, but is it enough?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my heart breaks reading this... just remembering makes me sad. My DH is year 10 this year and having issues with PE and change room etiquette... he WILL not go in there! It is just the smallest t hings isn't it that other parents would never have to deal with. Big hugs Ali... I have come to the conclusion that we must be AMAZING parents to be sent our darling kids... others wouldn't have a hope in hell of raising them! ;)
Anne-Marie

Anonymous said...

not a fair comment anne marie , i have no doubt you are an amazing parent but dont under esteamate the caperbilities of others , as humans we do our best to deal with what is thrown at us .. after 23 years of not working i got a job as a P/C/A working with intelectually disabled women , if i thought because i didnt have an intelectually disabled child of my own , and wouldnt have a hope in hell of dealing with people with this disorder i wouldnt be where i am today , which is a much better person having got to know them , and i feel it has prepared me to deal with the future after my grandson being diagnosed as a child with autisum , cheers kathy .. zoo_keeper_911@hotmail.com