Thursday, March 29, 2007

What is it you believe?

I believe in Early Intervention. Alec is my proof it works.

I don't believe vaccinations cause it, I know a special diet wouldn't help Alec, I don't believe there is a 'cure', if they do find a gene that causes autism and devise a test for it what are you going to do? have that test? abort that baby? There is management, coping strategies and early intervention. But this is my experience and decisions, everyone needs to make their own based on the needs of their child.

The thing is no two autistic children are the same, while one is social and communicative but has severe sensory issues another has no sensory issues but is withdrawn and uncommunicative with a whole lot of different variations in between. Then you have to add in co morbidity (two or more conditions also present) and intellectual disability.

I worry everyday about the future of my child. I will do anything I think will help him, I will never accuse anyone of doing the wrong thing by their child by the therapies they choose, I am only responsible for Alec.

I fund raise for the early intervention centre because I have seen what they can do, it is hands on hard work but so gratifying and I am humbled by the generosity of those who attended or donated last year.

The ages of 3-6 are the most important for child with autism, I have seen my child go from being unable to cope with his surroundings, any form of change or deviation of routine to a boy who communicates, joins in and is in mainstream school. Alec found his environment so hostile all he could do was withdraw to a safe place within himself and he communicated by squeals and noises. It hasn't been a miracle but amazing dedication by the therapists we have encountered and ourselves, for 2 years every minute of the day was a therapy session, thankfully Alec embraced it and loved going to speech, centre sessions or gym (OT) even with everything we have done i still worry I have missed something or could do more but this is a thing I have found many mums experience, we do our best no matter what path we travel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there , im real sorry but im so taken with your little man i didnt think to see or maybe remember what your name was ooops sorry , anyway i just want to thank you for your blogs , they made me laugh , no offence to you or alec , the reason i laugh is because my grandson is going through the motions of being diagnosed as a person with autisum , my grandson evan has a lot of ur little mans trates , and i agree with you it is all about knowing and understanding their world , not trying to change their world to be more like ours , after all they wouldnt be their own person then would they , anyway keep up the blogs , i have saved the site to favourites to show my daughter , she is going to absolutly love them just as i do ,
cheers .zoo_keeper_911@hotmail.com